Sunday 8 January 2012

Hari Minggu: Sunday





musicians at political event
Happy New Year to all of my friends and followers of the Blog. I hope all of you brought in the New Year in a way that suits you best at this time in your life. I know that I did! I once again was invited to  (and approved to attend by Shri Guru), the New Year celebration at the Ashram by my friend Mandy. It was held at the "mother Ashram" rather than the Ubud  one, so entailed a 1 1/2 hour drive by car to the foot of the mountains outside of Ubud. All I can really describe is the hour of midnight when after about 3 hours of prayer/dance/singing with both Gurus and their folllowers,  people - about 100 of us, moved about with gentle hadshakes wishing each other happy new year. It was a moving experience and I felt so very priveldged to be accepted among them, wishing each other love and peace and wishing it for this world. How great to share this wish and hopefully, joining our worlds as we share our cultures and experiences. I think that's what a big part of being a CUSO volunteer is all about. In Bali during language training we visited a school for youth with "different abilites" - don't you love that term much better than "challenged" or "handicapped"  which is the term most often used here. Will include some pics of these lovely young people who are working so hard at learning alphabet and numbers the day we were there. We talked - of course in Indonesian and helped with today's learning, sharing with the teacher our experiences in our home countries.
So, as my title today suggests, I'm sharing my Sunday - a day in the life of a CUSO volunteer in Kupang.
Up about 7 am, my room registers 29 C on my little clock/thermometer. I got it down to 27C last night before bed by keeping my door open during the tropical rain and my fan in the doorway blowing some of this lovely cool outside air into my room. where does it go overnight though is what I am wondering as it just gets back to hot overnight! Thus the early wake up.
Talked to Don on Skype, then friend Laurie, washed my laundry including my bed sheet - only need a bottom one! and after soaking everything for an hour in my bucket lots of rinsing then out to the back area clothes line. Just have to step carefuly around the chickens!
Swept and washed my floor and tried to scrub the kitchen corners. I think its termites that leave a little pile of dust in the corners that is so fine, it's hard to get up.
from the market - stack of pam sugar in fron
Then off to the traditional market for a few days of food. If I was more energetic, I'd go each mroing and be outof the door about 6:30am to get each day's food but I'm pretty slow getting up but also slow at the market as I  have to use my translations for asking what I'm looking at. Nothing looks familiar except carrrots and cucumbers right now!
I'm sure there are well over 300 stalls selling everything in food and dry goods. I copied some Indonesian receipes but then I had to use my dictionary to translate so I could ask for the right things at the market. Even then, not sure I got the things I was asking for in one instance but I'll ask my buddies here what I DID end up with. I did buy fresh ginger, lemon grass, pepper corns, palm sugar, chillies, lime leaves and water spinach. Also had a fresh coconut shredded for me. It was fun this time, ot as intimidating as my first two forays into the market when it all felt very overwhelming and foreign. I didn't haggle as I think it was local prices I was getting but will check with my pal Berti to be sure. No matter what, nothings costs very much when converted to Ca. dollars. Then back home to cook upp my lunch.
Lunch today was  some left over red rice mixed with white rice and black eyed peas heated up with sliced ginger, freshly shredded coconut and sliced bananas. Imagine that - no recipe - just had a look at what I had! I'm getting more used to cooking camp style with my one burner and small work space/table. Being tall, I have to sit on a stool as my stove is on the floor practically, and the table is low! I am a giant among these delicate, petite women and men.
I have been to some lovely events this week locally with my work mates where of course everyone wants a picture with me and I am treated very well. I so appreciate their generosity of spirit and just hope I can return it over this time here.
Pictures of musicians and a curious stringed instument that I need to ge the name of and the ingrediants for tonight's dinner including the stone mortor and pestle borrowed from my neighbour.    Have to get one of those!
Salamat Siang: Good afternoon to all of you, wherever you are - US and Canada now and coast to coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment