Wednesday 7 November 2012

Hidup Setiap Hari - Everyday Life

-->
One year ago I was winging my way to Indonesia and what a year it has been. I have just finished my time with my first visitor, friend Laurie. We had a great time together as we always do, saw new sights for me and for Laurie, Java, Bali and West Timor.
I was going to do a bit of recap of the year but as always “every day in Indonesia is a mystery” – my constant saying.

Very sad news this week that the young man I wrote about in my May5  Blog by the name of War has died. He never got to go to his upgrading and technical training on the island of Sulawesi, which was our dream and his. He didn't get away in May as we thought he would. Not sure of the reason.

He became ill in June and was hospitalized with massive water retention and over the summer his father sought a traditional healer, then he was back in hospital this last month and died of what sounds like kidney failure. I think more than his kidneys failed him.

Laurie was still here, so she came to the village with Berty my colleague and I to pay our respects at his home where he lived with his grandparents. His bed had been moved to the main room of the house, where we had all sat only 6 months ago discussing the possibility of him going away to school. He was dressed in the traditional village wear and covered by a thin lace cover. His family sat on the floor around him and the cries were what Laurie likened to an Irish wake. It was so sad. Villagers came and sat outdoors of the home under the newly erected tarps held up by bamboo poles. This was not an event I wished to record but War deserves the respect of being honoured as a symbol of all of those who die young. Like all of those young people, he hoped for a better future and was excited to finally be moving forward in a life that had stagnated after his polio at age 13.

War Loinati: In Memorium
Photo from May.
War died at age 20 and it was the day the interviews to go to Sulawesi were finally being held. He would have been on his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment