Sunday 30 December 2012

Selamat Tahun Baru 2013 - Happy New Year 2013


our room on Lombok
A second New Year and again on Bali. This time my Christmas was spent with Don here and although the time went very quickly, it was quality time. The volunteer experience goes well beyond the actual time spent in placement and in a country far from home. It lasts a lifetime – memories of people, places and activities. Many volunteers tell me that going back home is often tough because there is no one there who can share your experiences or understand the context. I am very fortunate in that I have had my friend Laurie come here and now Don over the Christmas vacation time. Both will listen to my reminiscing as loved ones do, but they will also be able to understand, which helps lots on the return home and in the years to come, as it’s the people one meets that will stay in the memories most of all.

obviously Pam on the rented bike

 The great part was having Don at home with me in Kupang, meeting my workmates and friends who support me in my volunteer role and in managing my time far from home. They are now real to him and they welcomed him as they have me.

As I continue my second year here, of course there are reports to write, documenting activities and work-planning for the months to come. Not much different from colleagues at home!

sunset at Sengigi, Lombok Island
I hope this short Blog and of photos from the Christmas break finds all of you well and ready for whatever 2013 brings – both of us rented motor bikes in Bali and on Lombok Island and had a great time touring. I just realized most photos are on Don’s camera as it wings its way home to Canada!

All the best in the New Year to all of you, friends and family and friends of friends!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw your blog and I love to read your stories Pam! I wish you also a happy new year and all the best for you there in Kupang. It seems there are some changes and happy to read you got company. I still miss Indonesia every day and thinking of all of you volunteers often!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete