Saturday 29 September 2012

Atlet Atlet - Athletes


End of September, school is underway and Fall in Canada is imminent! In some parts of the country more than others, I'm sure. Here it gets hotter by the day and I am told October and early November is the hottest, just before the rainy season starts. I can feel the change as my fan is again my companion during the night and then moves with me to wherever I sit in the house. Thank goodness for electricity!

Yesterday, Saturday, I received a call in the morning asking if I would come to see some athletes with our organization's founder Mr. Fary who is now an elected official in Jakarta but home is here in Kupang. I was able to understand from my colleague on the phone that Mr. Fary was wanting me to join him as the athletes had disabilities and the event is competition for peoople with disabilites. She would pick me up later in the afternoon.

Now, as usual, there was no advance warning so I had already invited a new friend for dinner that evening but I also knew it would not be good form to turn down the invite, so a quick text to let her know my plan was to be home on time for 7pm dinner but we might need to be flexible. (I did make it) As she is a former VSO volunteer now married and living here, she fully understood. I often do not know how offical these events are and thus, what I should be wearing so decided middle of the road as at times I've been underdressed but also I wasn't sure if Mr Fary was oming in his car - then I can wear a skirt, or Mrs Rusty on her bike; then need pants ("trousers" here). When she arrived on her bike, out came my earings as my helmut and earnings are not friends and off we went to a hotel where we waited for about 45 minutes with many texts to Mr Fary. Finally the word was to go to the stadium and he would meet us there instead. We arrived to 15 athletes, 4 women and 11 men, looking like they are warming up but I'm thinking this can't be much of a competition with so few people especially for the women!  And no spectators. This is the part of being here and not always getting the full story due to language but also due to the way communication takes place.
Mr Fary speaking to the athletes (sign interpreter on rt.)
When Mr Fary arrived I learned this is a training session, the first of the week of training and these athletes are the chosen team from the province of NTT of which Kupang is the capital, and they are preparing to go to the annnual games in Sumatra, leaving next Thursday. Now it all made sense!! He was there to provide motivation and support both in word and a financial donation and his hope was that I would provide motivational support by being there also. Such a relief to finally understand and put the pieces together!!!

athletes    
What I also was able to bring was information that my VSO colleague James was going to be in Kupang for the week and he is a volunteer VSO physiotherapist in a town 3 hours away. I suggested I bring him to training on Monday afternoon - nothing starts until 4 when the sun gets lower and the heat drops. They were thrilled with the prospect of having their very own physio visit! There is even a possibility they may invite him to go to Sumatra with them - I hope this comes about. It would be a great boost to their motivation and I'm sure James would be helpful. I think there is possibility for me to link Mr. Fary to the local organization that is starting up for persons with disabilities here in Kupang as they are in dire need for some start up support. We'll see.
Tonight, Sunday, James and I are are invited to Mr Fary's restaurant with the athletes for dinner. No, we are not eating the athletes for dinner - they are invited too!!
So, as September comes to a close my friends and family, I hope you are enjoying those cool, lovely scented mornings of Fall and the colours of the trees as they go into hibernation.
bye for now - sampai jumpa lagi

1 comment:

  1. And only a few days to your birthday to celebrate the start of fall!

    ReplyDelete