Saturday 1 September 2012

Pertama Mingu - First Week

Sister Daisy, Mrs. Irna, 8 mo. old

 A samll quote to start:
An anthropologist proposed a game to a group of kids in Africa. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the kids that who ever got there first would win the fruit. When he told them to run they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats. When he asked them why they had run like that, as one could have had all the fruits for himself, they said: ''Ubuntu, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?''
Ubuntu - I am because we are.

 A week has gone by since I deplaned in Kupang and I am now in the readjustment phase of re-entry to Indonesian life. A good housecleaning was in order as my housemate has been away on vacation and it is amazing how much dirt can seep into the house and how the ants and cockroaches can set up housekeeping! Only had to chase 2 live ones, the rest were belly up folllowing a good spraying of the floor after washing. I put mothballs back in the wardrobe in case they had started raising a family. No sign now, so all is good. Got a good shopping at the traditional market for tempeh, garlic, onions, carrots and eggplant. Brought bulghar wheat from home and feta cheese and can of olives from Bali so had company for dinner - started out with ratatouille recipe but finished as a vegetable stew! And, tabouli! the fruit stand yeilded a melon, sweet oranges that are green on the skin but very pale inside, and papaya, so I'm all set for a few days. I am SO lucky to have a fridge and can keep food fresh for more than a day.
singing group of students
villagers greeting politicians
My first day back to work was the official grand opening of the organization's farming school, a 45 minute motor bike ride away- no not mine but rode on the back of another - and it entailed politician speaches, the organization's benefactor and surrounding village elders and staff of our organization Increase. After lunch, politicians left and entertainment began with young people from the school providing entertainment of music and dancing. I joined in on some of the traditional round dancing and some that is similar to our line dancing. Great fun and lively music.

Then a day in the village and visited the community health facilitator who I met last January just after she had her baby - posted in my January blog. New photo here with baby who is now 8 months old, mom and Sister Daisy who is doing her Social Work research in the village and hales from the Phillipines. She is based with our organization until her expected research completion early October.
On my last day in June before the Canada trip I lost my motorcycle key outside my door so this week required a mechanic to take most of the bike apart to get the old tumblers out and new ones in but all is good now. Thank goodness once again for Berty whose father was visiting from Sumba and arranged for his friend, a mechanic, to do the work in my garage. All I had to do was go with Berty to buy the new locks and feed them and of course pay for his time. All is good and I got myself out the door and used my sometimes decent memory from end of May to find the route to our office next day. Even surprised myself! So, I have done that and yesterday pushed myself to go to a shop on a busy road that I thought I would avoid for as long as possible, but needed beer for my dinner party so need overcame fear! Home in one piece and proud of it.

Now preparing for a "technical visit" to a volunteer's posting on the island of Flores in the city of Maumere to co-present Disability Inclusion to one of the placement organizations there and to local university students who will be implementing this philosophy locally. this is a place I've not been yet wo am looking forward to meeting new folks, new experience and new geography.
All for now, til next time - hope all enjoyed the Canadian long wekend - official end of summer but hopefully not actually - lots more nice weather to come!
Sanur Beach, Bali

Oh and PS for those who heard of the earthquake in the Phillipines and tsunami warning for this area - we had no sign of it here. Thanks to friends from Red Deer alerting me via skype!!

No comments:

Post a Comment