Saturday 8 September 2012

Ayam - Chicken

Yes it's a story about chicken but first the rest of my week - then the chicken. Rode my motor bike to the village twice, following Berty through the traffic of Kupang, grippping the handles with the the vice grip that left me wondering if my gloves were too tight as my fingers went to sleep. Managed; didn't enjoy it; didn't scare myself with any sudden moves! Guess that's progress.
bedroom/sitting room-her world in the bamboo home
comode
We met with a lovely 70 year old woman who lost the use of her legs 3 years ago and now they have seized up into a permanent bent sitting position. Her hads are also stiff, with fingers flat out and not able to bend. I don't know the cause of her original illness but my guess is that with therapy she might have a least retained flexibility. Her 33 year old daughter stays with her all the tine to lift her onto the home made comode and from bed to chair. Other than going to church and prayer groups, this is their life with the woman's husband working to bring in the income. We have completed some forms for the provincial government dependent elder pension and once we have the government representative come out to the village next Saturday to assess her, we hope there will be some income to ease the load. She is a gentle soul, initially quite afraid of me the "foreigner" but we soon had a few laughs between us with her daughter interpreting from the local village language which Berty does not understand. when I took her photo she said now the world would see her and laugh and I assured her "the world" would see her beauty and smile. I'm sure you will. She also asked if I could make her a copy which I did and delivered it the next day.

cashew  tree



While at the family home I noticed some red fruit growing on a very tall tree. New learning for me - it is cashw. I didn't know they grow on a tree, the nut grows on the outside of the root (fruit). we sliced up the red root and ate it with a little salt. Now to roast the cashew in its shell, letting the oil come out and eat! AND a pomegranate tree; oh yum they were good.  


Although there are still days I wonder how long I will manage life in Kupang, there are days like this that remind what a great experience I am able to have, and apreciate all life has to offer.

Now the chicken. There is a shop which sells meat that is kept in a cooler and some is even frozen. I bought there quite a while ago in the spring and even though I don't know the food chain of the meat, it just feels more familiar and therefore, safer. So up and out the door early to ride my bike and hopefully avaoid the heavy traffic of later in the day. No such luck, flat tire. So, plan B, get out of my jeans and jacket and gloves into cooler clothes and walk to the bus. Bought a whole chicken as no cut up available today, and some stewing beef. At home decided to wait for Anna my housemate to come home as wasn't sure the innerds were still in place and might need her to help me deal with that when cutting up the bird. But, after thinking for a while, told myself this is silly, cut up the bird and deal with the innards if need be and stop being such a wimp. So out of the fridge comes the bird, and I start to lay it out and think - stupidly forgetting where I am! - oh the innards are in a bag, cool! As I reached for the lump, realized it is the chicken's head - just no feathers of course so a little skinnier than I recognize!!! OK, chicken back in bag, back in fridge; wait for Anna. I am a wimp!! Enjoy the pics - sorry no
pic of the chicken. He's in the fridge.

cashew fruit and nut on top

1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing the cashew fruit. I had no idea they grew like that. I showed three of my friends who couldn't believe it. Also, congratulations getting back on your bike! Sad that the key couldn't be found somewhere in the house. Good thing Berti knew someone.

    Kelsey N

    ReplyDelete